Knowledge for the Sulphuric Acid Industry
Sulphuric Acid on the Web
Acid Plant Database
Boiler Feed Water
Materials of Construction
DKL Engineering, Inc.
Sulphuric Acid Plant Safety - Sulphur Trioxide
November 9, 2003
Sulphur trioxide is considered a poison. Inhalation of the vapours, swallowing the material of severe skin contact can result in death. Skin and eye contact causes severe burns and blindness.
If a release of sulphur trioxide has occurred the following should be considered:
Inhalation – Remove the victim to fresh air and give oxygen if available
Contact with Skin – Remove and isolate contaminated clothing (including shoes) and wash skin with soap and large volumes of water for a minimum of 15 minutes and then apply a clean dry dressing
Contact with Eyes – Rinse with large volumes of water or saline for a minimum of 15 minutes
Ingestion – Do not induce vomiting
In all cases of contact with sulphur trioxide medical assistance must be sought immediately. Toxic effects may be delayed.
|From a transportation perspective, sulphur trioxide is classified as a poisonous gas and corrosive. Any or all of the following signs maybe displayed in the presence of sulphur trioxide.|