headerdrawing1.jpg (96365 bytes)

Sulphuric Acid on the WebTM Technical Manual DKL Engineering, Inc.

Knowledge for the Sulphuric Acid Industry Line.jpg (1139 bytes)

Sulphuric Acid on the Web

Equipment Suppliers

Industry News
Acid Traders

Used Plants
Intellectual Propoerty
Acid Plant Database
Market Information

Technical Manual


Plant Safety
Metallurgial Processes
Sulphur Burning
Acid Regeneration
Lead Chamber
Gas Cleaning
Strong Acid
Acid Storage

Sulphur Systems
Liquid SO2
Boiler Feed Water
Steam Systems

Cooling Water
Effluent Treatment
Analytical Procedures
Materials of Construction
Vendor Data

DKL Engineering, Inc.

Handbook of Sulphuric Acid Manufacturing
Order Form

Sulphuric Acid Decolourization
Order Form
Table of Contents

Process Engineering Data Sheets - PEDS
Order Form
Table of Contents


Bibliography of Sulphuric Acid Technology
Order Form


Sulphuric Acid Plant Specifications

Google Search new2.gif (111 bytes)



Acid Plant Database  January 21, 2018

Owner Grasim Industries

Location Nagda
Madhya Pradesh State
Background 1954 - Company established (flagship company of the Aditya Birla Group)
Website www.grasim.com
Plant -
Coordinates* -
Type of Plant Sulphur Burning
Gas Source Elemental Sulphur
Plant Capacity 210,370 MTPA
Emissions -
Status Operating
Year Built -
Technology -
Contractor -
Remarks -
Pictures -

Company is the largest producer of viscose staple fibre (VSF) in the world.  Grasim is also India’s largest producer of sodium sulphate, a by-produt of VSF that is widely used in the paper and pulp, detergent, glass and textiles industries.  The major products manufactured at Grasim’s VSF division based in Nagda, Madhya Pradesh are VSF, sodium sulphate, carbon disulphide, sulphuric acid and captive power.  The Nagda division has an installed capacity of 151475 tonnes of VSF.

References -

January 21, 2018 - Grasim Industries has received green nod for expanding the production of manmade fibre VSF at Bharuch, Gujarat that would entail an investment of Rs 2,560 crore, according to an official document.  The company has four VSF (Viscose Staple Fibre) plants in India, of which two are located in Gujarat, one each in Kharach and Vilayat in Bharuch district.  As per the proposal, the company's Grasim Cellulosic Division wants to expand its Vilayat plant.  In a letter issued to the Grasim Industries, the Union environment ministry has said it has given the environment clearance to the company's proposal on expansion of Vilayat unit subject to compliance of certain conditions.  The company's proposal is to increase the production capacity of VSF from 1,27,750 tonnes per annum (TPA) to Rs 2,55,500 TPA. It also wants to set up a production facility of Solvent Spun Cellulosic Fibre with a capacity of 36,500 TPA.  Besides, the company has proposed to expand the production capacity of Sulphuric Acid from 1,02,300 TPA to 1,82,500 TPA, Carbon Di-Sulphide from 23,725 TPA to 34,675 TPA and captive power plant capacity from 25 MW to 55 MW.  Grasim Industries will undertake the proposed expansion within the existing plant premise spread over 222.63 hectare area at Vilayat.  The project cost is estimated to be Rs 2,560 crore and will create about 2,500 jobs, according to the letter.  In its proposal, the Aditya Birla Group firm has said the proposed expansion in VSF production capacity will cater the increased demand of manmade fibres in the country.

September 26, 2006
- Chlor-alkali producer Grasim Industries Limited said on Tuesday that its chemical plants will continue to operate at 50% until the end of 2006 or January 2007 due to the continued absence of in-house power at Nagda in Madhya Pradesh State.  On 21 July, Grasim stated that its chlor-alkali and downstream chemical plants would cut their production by 50% for one month while the company carried out major repairs to its power plant.   This job is now likely to be completed in three to four months time, thus keeping chemicals output to 50%.  The chlor-alkali plant supplies about 80% of its caustic soda to the company’s viscose staple fibre (VSF) facility at the same site and to two other locations. It sells the other 20% of its 190,800 tonnes/year caustic soda capacity to the general market.  The other chemical division plants are: a 210,370 tonnes/year sulphuric acid plant, a 46,798 tonnes/year carbon disulphide plant, a 45,000 tonnes/year stable bleaching powder plant, a 16 500 tonnes/year chloro-sulphuric acid plant and a 13,860 tonnes/year poly aluminium chloride plant.

MTPD - Metric Tonne per Day           STPD - Short Ton per Day
MTPA - Metric Tonne per Annum      STPA - Short Ton per Annum
SA - Single Absorption
DA - Double Absorption

* Coordinates can be used to locate plant on Google Earth