headerdrawing1.jpg (96365 bytes)

Sulphuric Acid on the WebTM Technical Manual DKL Engineering, Inc.

Knowledge for the Sulphuric Acid Industry Line.jpg (1139 bytes)

Sulphuric Acid on the Web

Equipment Suppliers

Industry News
Acid Traders

Used Plants
Intellectual Propoerty
Acid Plant Database
Market Information

Technical Manual


Plant Safety
Metallurgial Processes
Sulphur Burning
Acid Regeneration
Lead Chamber
Gas Cleaning
Strong Acid
Acid Storage

Sulphur Systems
Liquid SO2
Boiler Feed Water
Steam Systems

Cooling Water
Effluent Treatment
Analytical Procedures
Materials of Construction
Vendor Data

DKL Engineering, Inc.

Handbook of Sulphuric Acid Manufacturing
Order Form

Sulphuric Acid Decolourization
Order Form
Table of Contents

Process Engineering Data Sheets - PEDS
Order Form
Table of Contents


Bibliography of Sulphuric Acid Technology
Order Form


Sulphuric Acid Plant Specifications

Google Search new2.gif (111 bytes)



Acid Plant Database May 30, 2009

Owner ASMIDAL Group

Asmidal-Group-Logo.jpg (2200 bytes)


Also known as Enterprise Nationale des Engrais

The National Company of Fertilizers, ASMIDAL, is a Holding company. It was created in 1984 after the reorganization of the oil company SONATRACH, with main mission to promote and develop the sector of fertilizers by producing chemical fertilizers and ammonia. In December 1996, it became a stock company (SPA) with a capital 5941 000 000 DA entirely held by the State.

The Company had two production complexes of phosphate and nitrogenous fertilizers and ammonia with the necessary packaging installations and utilities.

Subsidiaries: Fertial and Alzofert


BP 326, Rte. des Salines
Annaba 23000

Website www.asmidal-dz.com
Plant -
Coordinates* -
Type of Plant Sulphur Burning
Gas Source Elemental Sulphur
Plant Capacity -
Emissions -
Status Shutdown 1995
Decommissioned 1997
Year Built -
Technology -
Contractor -
Remarks -
Pictures -
General Asmidal Group is specialized in the production, trading and the development of fertilizers, ammonia and its derivatives.
News January 2005 - Alzofert and Fertial, two subsidiaries of Asmidal, the state-owned Algerian fertilizer company, merged creating one company (Fertial or the company) Later on in August 4, 2005, the company was privatized to Grupo Villar Mir of Spain (the sponsor). This was done via a capital increase resulting in the sponsor having 66% of the shares. The sponsor has undertaken an investment in the company in two separate phases.

August 24, 2005 - The Algerian government sold its fertilizer maker Fertial, a subsidiary of the Asmidal Group, to the Spanish fertilizer company Fertiberia in a transaction worth $160 million.
The transaction came after years of talks between the two parties. As part of the agreement reached, the Algerian party will relinquish 66% of the two subsidiaries to Fertiberia, a company controlled by Villar Mir. The remaining 34% will stay under Algerian control. The Spanish firm is also slated to take over another subsidiary Alzofert, and Algeria is also planning to privatize companies active in the steel industry, including Kimial, Somias and Asfertrade.
The purchased unit, Fertial, will keep its name but its logo will change in the short term. Labor union officials and senior managers at Fertial have refrained from public comment but privately all agree that the only way to maintain these units growth is to secure foreign participation. Indeed Fertial has been growing fast and is ranked as the third largest producer of fertilizers in the Mid-East-North Africa region. Some analysts say it is the seventh largest producer in the world, generating DZD 8.4 billion in 2005, almost double its 2002 sales. This year, the company forecasts sales to reach DZD 8.6 billion, DZD 2.1 billion already generated in 1Q05.
For Asmidal, Fertial has been a well performing unit allowing it to expand its export capacity over time. Fertial's major foreign markets for its ammonia are Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Belgium, Britain, the U.S., Brazil, Morocco and Cuba. It also sells nitrate to neighboring Morocco and Tunisia. The company is now contemplating a strategy to penetrate Asian markets.  In terms of output, Fertial produced 599,607 tons of all products combined in 2003, boosting it to 800,733 tons in 2004.
Given these results, Fertial has been Asmidal's best performing subsidiary. Of the five subsidiaries, Fertial generated one third of Asmidal's revenue in 2004.

MTPD - Metric Tonne per Day           STPD - Short Ton per Day
MTPA - Metric Tonne per Annum      STPA - Short Ton per Annum
SA - Single Absorption
DA - Double Absorption

* Coordinates can be used to locate plant on Google Earth