headerdrawing1.jpg (96365 bytes)

Sulphuric Acid on the WebTM Technical Manual DKL Engineering, Inc.

Knowledge for the Sulphuric Acid Industry Line.jpg (1139 bytes)

Sulphuric Acid on the Web

Equipment Suppliers

Industry News
Acid Traders

Used Plants
Intellectual Propoerty
Acid Plant Database
Market Information

Technical Manual


Plant Safety
Metallurgial Processes
Sulphur Burning
Acid Regeneration
Lead Chamber
Gas Cleaning
Strong Acid
Acid Storage

Sulphur Systems
Liquid SO2
Boiler Feed Water
Steam Systems

Cooling Water
Effluent Treatment
Analytical Procedures
Materials of Construction
Vendor Data

DKL Engineering, Inc.

Handbook of Sulphuric Acid Manufacturing
Order Form

Sulphuric Acid Decolourization
Order Form
Table of Contents

Process Engineering Data Sheets - PEDS
Order Form
Table of Contents


Bibliography of Sulphuric Acid Technology
Order Form


Sulphuric Acid Plant Specifications

Google Search new2.gif (111 bytes)



Acid Plant Database  July 17, 2014

Owner Metorex Limited
Ruashi Mining SPRL

Metorex-Logo.jpg (7754 bytes) 

Location Ruashi
Katanga Province
Democratic Republic of Congo

10 kilometres from Lubumbashi

Background Metorex-3.JPG (26469 bytes)Ruashi Holdings (Pty) Ltd (“Ruashi Holdings”) is a South African registered wholly owned subsidiary of Metorex. Ruashi Holdings has a 75% interest in Ruashi Mining sprl, a private limited liability company registered in the DRC. The remaining 25% of Ruashi Mining is held by Générale des Carrières et des Mines, a state owned mining company registered in the DRC.

2012 - Metorex becomes a subsidiary of Jinchuan Group
2013 - Metorex incorporated into Jinchuan Group International Resources Co. Ltd.
Website www.metorexgroup.com
Plant Sulphuric Acid Plant Liquid SO2 Plant
Coordinates* 11° 36' 37" S, 27° 33' 17" E
Type of Plant Sulphur Burning Sulphur Burning
Gas Source Elemental Sulphur Elemental Sulphur
Plant Capacity 570 MTPD 65 MTPD
Emissions - -
Status Operating -
Year Built 2011 2011
Technology MECS -
Contractor Furnace Fabrica -
Remarks The acid plant is a refurbished second hand plant and is a “double absorption” plant based on MECS technology. An SO2 gas plant is being added and will form an integral part of the acid plant operation. The SO2 plant will alleviate the requirement for SMBS and translate to operating cost savings of approximately US$0.7m per month.  The construction of the Ruashi sulphuric acid plant was put on hold in October 2008 and currently remains 70% complete. To complete the construction of the acid plant an estimated capital expenditure of approximately US$13m is required.
Pictures Metorex-1.JPG (171507 bytes)  Metorex-2.JPG (155679 bytes)  Metorex-4.JPG (97929 bytes)  Metorex-5.JPG (87723 bytes)  Metorex-6.JPG (59983 bytes)  Metorex-7.jpg (217137 bytes)  Metorex-8.jpg (302625 bytes)
General Chemical Initiatives has the task of moving the sulphur-burning acid plant from the former Kynoch fertilizer plant at Potchefstroom in northern South Africa to feed Metorex's leach plant in Ruashi in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

Ruashi Phase II project
Whilst the commissioning of the Ruashi Phase II plant has been delayed and project costs are higher than original estimates, the challenges and complexities of establishing a plant of this magnitude and technical advancement have been largely overcome. The ultimate plant at completion will be world class and the largest and most modern SX/Ew plant in the DRC.  The plant will be commissioned in modules commencing with the HG solvent extraction plant, followed by the cobalt plant, the front-end crushing plant and finally the acid plant.  Commissioning delays have resulted in copper and cobalt production of approximately 18 000 tons of saleable copper and 650 tons of contained cobalt in the forthcoming financial year. This will be achieved through a phased build-up. Thereafter, Ruashi II should produce at its design capacity of 45 000 tons copper and 3 500 tons cobalt per annum.  Mining operations are established in the first of the three pits with the opening of the second pit under way. Pit 2 is expected to produce higher grades than those of the first pit.


Competent Persons' Report (CPR) and Valuation of Ruashi Holdings (PTY) LTD and Ruashi Mining SPRL in the Democratic Republic of the Congo by Metorex Limited, January 2010


September 22, 2011 - The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) has granted conditional final authorisation to Glencore Investment for the acquisition of Sable Zinc Kabwe limited.  The CCPC board which sat on Monday this week held that the sale of Sable Zinc Kabwe currently owned by Metorex was not likely to lead to substantial lessening of competition in the local mining sector.

February 6, 2009 - South African miner Metorex has received an approval from the government of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) in regards to its Ruashi and Miniere de Musoshi et Kinsenda units, it said on Friday.  The DRC government launched a review to renegotiate the conditions of the joint venture between Gecamines and Metorex and to reapportion respective stakes in Ruashi. The review process involved 61 mining companies in all. News of the agreements reached with the government are starting to trickle into the market.  As a result of the review, Metorex will hold a 75 percent stake in the joint venture and Gecamines the remaining 25 percent, from 80 and 20 percent respectively.  Metorex will have to pay a $4 million mineral content fee to Gecamines, to be settled in several tranches over the next three years, along with a royalty fee of 2.5 percent on the joint venture's gross revenue.  The company also said the DRC authorities had approved its agreement with Sodimico and the Copper Resources Corporation (CRC) regarding the Miniere de Musoshi et Kinsenda project.  As a result, Metorex and CRC will jointly hold a 77 percent stake in the project, down from 80 percent previously, and Sodimco wil hold the remaining 23 percent.  Mineral content fee payments to Sodimico were set at $3 million, to be paid in several instalments spread over a three-year period until 2011. Royalties to Sodimco have been stadardised at 2.5 percent of gross revenue.  Shares in Metorex were down 0.8 percent at 2.38 rand by 0950 GMT, compared with a 2.4 percent stronger JSE All Share index.

MTPD - Metric Tonne per Day           STPD - Short Ton per Day
MTPA - Metric Tonne per Annum      STPA - Short Ton per Annum
SA - Single Absorption
DA - Double Absorption

* Coordinates can be used to locate plant on Google Earth